Friday 2 September 2016

Friday finish

It might be a bit cheeky calling this a Friday Finish.  It's a little bit wee and will probably need to be made again!  Say hi to Ned the Hedgehog. Attempt #1!


Our guild is doing a pin cushion swap and I decided, following my success with Patrick the owl, that I would stick with an animal theme and searched online for a Hedgehog template.  I found this one at Makerland.  The template makes a tiny hedgehog so I printed it on A3 paper rather than A4 to make it about 40% bigger.


I should have known when I was cutting the fabric and had the two sides of the body pieced that something was wrong!


The hedgehogs on the body fabric are going the wrong way!


And nul points for pattern matching at the top either!


Still at least he is functional!


The designer of the pattern mentions in the first paragraph that she would consider moving to New Zealand as Hedgehogs are so plentiful there.  Given that and the fact that my little guy is upside down I'm calling him Ned from New Zealand! 

I'm not sure how I am going to do a better job of pattern matching on a curved seam but at least on attempt #2 I can turn the fabric the right way up! For now though I think I'll keep this little guy!

Happy Friday!

17 comments:

  1. I think Ned's little upside down friends give him personality :) Look on the bright side, if Ned ends up on his back, these little guys can just start walking and carry him where he needs to go. I think this gets adorable Friday Finish award. Not sure that's a thing, but I say it is now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's awfully sweet Ruth. I thought those little upside down hedgehogs were sheep. Fit's with New Zealand any way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ruth! I think your hedgehog is really cute! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently made a hedgehog pin cushion too, though my pattern was from Hunter's Design Studio. Sam Hunter offered a free pattern for the hedgehog and I couldn't resist making one, especially since I was in desperate need of a place to put my used machine needles. Your little guy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura that's a great use for him, I swap needles out for paper piecing all the time so could be useful to stick them into poor Ned!

      Delete
  5. Super cute! I hope attempt #2 turns out more the way you envision, and at least you get to keep Ned!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're killing me with cuteness here! I think pattern matching here is a lost cause, but I hope you make Ned some friends and share them with us. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cutie! He'll look more and more hedgehog-like the more pins you stick in him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ned is still pretty adorable! Plus I think something with a good story is more interesting than perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Actually that is a serendipitous mistake Ruth, because now you feel justified in keeping him, LOL. An adorable pincushion! I wouldn't worry about matching the design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is adorable. I like him and his personality.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He is so cute! I did not even see that the print was upside down until you pointed it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a little silly, but super cute... especially with the prickly pins.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know what, i didn't notice the pattern was upside down, even when you said you'd made a mistake! He's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute! Can you bear to stick pins in him?
    I live practically next door to NZ and yet I did not know that they are overrun with hedgehogs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...