Wednesday 22 April 2015

WIP Wednesday - lots of stuff!


 
Mum gave me a present of some wall signs last weekend.  Subtle as a sledgehammer don't you think?

To be fair, I was away with work for most of the week in Northern Spain and it's shedding season for the furballs.  G cut the grass but that was it!  I don't think he knows we have 2 hoovers!  So she has a point!

While in Spain, I got to spend a couple of hours in Bilbao.  It was beautiful there and 30deg C weather so absolutely glorious! 

As I only had a short time I had to chose between the old harbour or the Guggenheim Modern Art museum.  When I heard the museum had a giant dog made of flowers outside called the Guggenheim Puppy, decision was made!





The museum has been controversial not because of the content but because of the tourists choosing it over the older, original parts of the city.  Oh well,  but seriously - how was I going to pass up a giant puppy dog?


I did manage to get some sewing done too!  (After the hoovering and in between the washing machine cycles!)  Yvonne @ Quilting Jet Girl asked for some blocks for 2 quilts she is making with kids of a friend. The boy's quilt is going to be musical and the girl's ocean themed or dancing.  Both are 10 x 7 inches and believe it or believe it not the sail boat is improvisational pieced.  Looks pretty straight on doesn't it?

There is a type of boat on the West Cost of Ireland called the Galway Hooker, yes that is it's real name.  Its a black boat with 3 red/orange sails and designed for the windy west coast.  I made mine pink and grey on a navy sea and a blue sky. (Artistic licence!)  These are on the way to the US so I hope they get there in time for the quilt.  There is a collection forming on Yvonne's design wall and it looks brilliant!

I also caught up on Bee blocks.  This was February's Modern Irish Bee Blocks made earlier which I neglected to show you all.  I did made March's too which is based on the Burst Block video by Man Sewing here on You Tube.  I posted it off to Liz and forgot to take a photo! Oops.

Finally Stash Bee Hive 3 April block was a free choice as long as the fabrics used were White, Red, Brown or Tan and the block measured 12.5".  The red to be preferably bright red and low volume fabrics were ok too.

I'm not sure if this is too busy?  I chose a block from Stichery Dickory Dock's Sugar Block Club.  I quite like it but it photographs a little bit on the active side.  What do you think?  Send or Remake?
Linking up to
Sew Fresh QuiltsWIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

11 comments:

  1. Looks like you have been very busy. Both of your blocks are super sweet. I love that red star block. It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much, Ruth; the blocks look so sweet and perfect!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blocks you made for Yvonne's project, especially that boat! I'm impressed, my improv block never turn out that straight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blocks. Especially the ones you are sending to Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are one busy lady with a lot of shoes. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice collection of blocks. For me the red block is fine - not too busy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh why haven't I heard of the Guggenheim Puppy before now?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your Beehive April block is not too busy at all Ruth - I immediately loved it!
    Wow - how cool that you did the sailboat block improv. One would never have guessed it was not a pattern. I hope it gets there soon - Did you see Yvonne's cool world map of block makers?
    Love that giant pup. Not so crazy about the giant spider, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Giant Puppy Dog is so funny! Love the blocks that you made - lovely fabric choices as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't get to Bilbao when in Spain last year. Next trip!
    Great bee blocks. I read on Stash Bee that you knit like me – I too find rows and rows of plain knitting boring.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most welcome! I reply by email or within the thread if you are a noreply blogger so check back. Thanks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...